Tales of the Cocktail
Posted by Degan on January 20th, 2011
New Orleans is the home of the American cocktail and it may be that Vancouver is becoming the home of the Canadian cocktail. For the first time ever, New Orleans’ Tales of the Cocktail conference is happening in a second location and they picked us! Our exploding cocktail scene has caught the eye of the world and from March 13th – 15th local bartenders will be busy learning, mixing and drinking.
The Tales of the Cocktail team – including our own Jay Jones – was in Vancouver last week for a media preview at Boneta in Gastown. Ticket package details were announced (details below), as well as the official cocktail finalists.
The competition was for Canadian bartenders to create a custom cocktail that showcased Canada as well as used an aged (10 years +) Canadian whisky. The winners were:
- Danielle Tatarin, The Keefer Bar / Designer Cocktail Company with her “Smokey Lake Old Fashioned” inspired by Alberta’s spruce trees.
- Jay Jones, MARKET by Jean-Georges/Barjonesing with his “Pacific Ginger Fizz” influenced by the Ramos Gin Fizz.
- Jonathan Smolensky, Brix Restaurant and George Ultra Lounge with his “Dalhousie Cocktail”. It combines Domaine de Canton) and a mainstay Eastern European spirit (Zwack Unicum) with a Canada plum infused rendering of Canada’s most well known spirit, Canadian Whisky (Gibson’s 18 year old), to bind together flavors that create an original representation of our region’s history.
For the rest of us, Vieux Carrés were being made en masse. Named for the French Quarter in New Orleans, this was the perfect choice to welcome our TotC guests and get Tales of the Cocktail Vancouver started right.
To make a Vieux Carré, combine 1 ounce rye whiskey, 1 ounce Cognac, 1 ounce sweet vermouth, 1 teaspoon Bénédictine D.O.M., 2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters, 2 dashes Angostura Bitters in a double Old Fashioned glass over ice and stir. Delicious.
To attend the conference, tickets are on sale now for $155.00. You can purchase them online.
There are six seminars available for Vancouver:
- Famous New Orleans Cocktails – led by Chris McMillan and Philip Greene
- Who’s Your Daddy? A Mai Tai Paternity Test – led by Jeff Berry
- For the Love of Gin – led by Desmond Payne and Dan Warner
- The Science of Cocktails: New Techniques Behind the Bar – led by Dave Arnold and Eben Klemm
- The History and Importance of Ice in Cocktails – led by Charlotte Voisey and Jon Santer
- The Birth, Death and Rebirth of Canadian Whisky – led by Allen Katz and Drew Mayville with Neal McLennan and David Wolowidnyk
- Complimentary Don Julio and Grand Marnier cocktails during Registration
- Welcome gift bag along with Lagniappe and special offers from our partners
- One Ticket to the Canadian Professional Bartenders Association Welcome Reception (CPBA members only)
- One Ticket to the Official Welcome Reception-Gibson’s Finest Canadian Whisky presents ‘True North’
- Your choice of three 90-minute Tales of the Cocktail on Tour Seminars
- Complimentary lunch presented by Bols Amsterdam 1575
- Complimentary afternoon break presented by Mott’s Clamato
- One Ticket to the Mardi Gras Official Closing Reception presented by Appleton Rum, Glenfiddich Scotch Whisky, Tullamore Dew Irish Whisky, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Skyy Vodka and Wild Turkey Bourbon
- Participation in the BC Bar Crawl
- One Ticket to the “Good Bye Vancouver, Hello New Orleans” Cochon de Lait presented by Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Fireball Cinnamon Whisky
- Official Tales of the Cocktail Recipe E-Book with recipes from Tales of the Cocktail New Orleans and Vancouver ($15.00 value)
- Access to Shots of Inspiration Book Signings with presenters
- $25.00 discount on Membership to the Canadian Professional Bartenders Association
- Merchandise and Product Discounts